The Center for Infectious Disease Imaging (CIDI) is a cooperative initiative between Radiology and Imaging Sciences at the NIH Clinical Center and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). CIDI was established in 2009 to perform basic science, translational, and clinical research on the imaging features of infectious disease, including CT, nuclear medicine, MRI, ultrasound, radiography, and optical modalities. These efforts comprise a new initiative at NIH to advance the knowledge of radiology-pathology-virology correlation with clinical translation in the study of infectious disease and emerging pathogens. The Integrated Research Facility (IRF) supported by NIAID in conjunction with CIDI offers opportunities for intramural NIH and extramural investigators to collaborate on infectious disease research using advanced imaging technologies.
Major CIDI Program components include:
- Collaborative partnerships with advanced containment laboratories with imaging capability at NIH campuses, including Fort Detrick, Bethesda, and Poolesville,
- Basic, translation and clinical research on various pathogens, including high consequence viruses, HIV, fungal and bacterial infections,
- Interdisciplinary training and education on molecular imaging applied to infectious disease research,
- Animal model research for investigating pathophysiology, innovative imaging techniques, and development of drugs and vaccines,
- Quantitative and computer-assisted-detection method development for assessing infectious disease severity and response to therapy.
The Center for Infectious Disease Imaging also provides a forum for regular dialog between radiologic and infectious disease researchers for new research design, clinical consultation, and medical education. Research fellows, post-docs, students, and visiting scholars are invited to participate in CIDI.
The co-directors for CIDI are Dr. Joseph Frank and Dr. H. Clifford Lane.
Dr. Dima Hammoud is a senior investigator in Radiology and Imaging Sciences (NIH/CC) and deputy director of CIDI.
Scientists/Physicians/groups working and/or collaborating on CIDI-related initiatives include:
- Joseph A. Frank, MS, MD, NIH Clinical Center, Radiology and Imaging Sciences
- H. Clifford Lane, MD, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID)
- Dima Hammoud, MD, NIH Clinical Center, Radiology and Imaging Sciences
- Irwin Feuerstein, MD National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID), Integrated Research Facility (IRF)
- Jeffrey Solomon, PhD Integrated Research Facility (IRF)
- Michele Di Mascio, PhD Integrated Research Facility (IRF)
- Integrated Research Facility: CIDI has established multiple collaborative projects with various teams at the integrated research facility, a BSL4 high containment facility located in Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD.
World Molecular Imaging Society: Imaging of Infections (IOI) Interest Group
Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging