CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
(TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-866-411-1010)
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: email@example.com
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
HIPEC for Stomach Cancer
Do You Have Stomach Cancer?
You may be interested in a research study.
Researchers at the National Cancer Institute need volunteers 18 or older with stomach (gastric) cancer that has spread to the abdomen for a clinical study combining surgery with heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) as a potential new treatment for stomach cancer at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.
The chemotherapy agents used in this research study is cisplatin & mitomycin C. These two chemotherapies are FDA-approved for cancers other than stomach cancer; however their use to treat stomach cancer is experimental. There is strong evidence that they are effective in the treatment of gastric cancers.
About the research study:
- Patients will be screened for eligibility including medical history, blood, urine and heart tests, laparoscopy of the abdomen, and endoscopy with stomach tissue biopsy
- Surgery is performed to remove all visible tumors from the abdomen. A warm chemotherapy solution is then delivered throughout the abdomen to destroy remaining cancer cells.
- Following surgery, patients will remain at the Clinical Center for 1-3 weeks.
- After discharge, patients will be evaluated every few months for 3 years, then once per year.
You may be eligible if:
- You are 18 and older with gastric cancer that has spread to the abdomen
- You have already received 3-6 cycles of systemic chemotherapy
- Physiologically able to undergo heated chemotherapy and gastrectomy
- Other eligibility criteria may apply
All study-related tests and procedures are provided at no cost.
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's research hospital, is conveniently located on the Metro Red Line (Medical Center stop) in Bethesda, Maryland.
For more information, call:
Office of Patient Recruitment
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 07/18/2018