- For Recent Graduates
- For Residents/Fellows
- Other Opportunities
Clinical Electives Program: Internal Medicine Consult Service
Completion of clerkship in Internal Medicine
Madeleine S. Deming, MD
The NIH Clinical Center (CC) is the site of intramural clinical research for the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Each year, approximately 5,000 inpatients are admitted to the CC and another 100,000 individuals are seen in the CC outpatient clinics. These patients, who are enrolled in specific research protocols, may present with simple or complex medical problems in addition to the disease or treatment being studied. The Internal Medicine Consult Service (IMCS) provides internal medicine consultation and care to any adult patient in the CC at the request of the patient's research physicians.
The student will join the consulting team and take part in the diagnosis, treatment, and ongoing care of a wide spectrum of medical problems occurring in patients participating in research protocols. These activities frequently require extensive interaction between the IMCS, the research team, other CC specialists and the diagnostic laboratory and radiology services of the CC. An essential part of providing medical consultation in the CC environment requires review of existing literature and learning about new clinical and/or research tools pertinent to the clinical problems.
The student will also become acquainted with the clinical assessment and standard of practical algorithms used to medically optimize and risk stratify CC patients in preparation for planned surgical procedures.
- Provide unique clinical experience of providing optimum care for patients with multiple medical problems in a research environment.
- Learn the consulting skills needed to formulate a diagnostic and therapeutic plan.
- Effectively communicate information to patient, family, attending physicians, and nursing staff.
- Learn to perform preoperative medical assessments and risk stratification of complex patients.
Selection of Applicants
One student is scheduled for each session during the year.
- Naomi O'Grady, MD, Chief, Internal Medicine Consult Service
- Madeleine S. Deming, MD
- Donna Novacic, MD
- Suma Singh, MD
- Stacey Solin, NP
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 04/16/2019