CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Role of Genetic Factors in the Pathogenesis of Lung Disease
Have you been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis?
Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a progressive, genetic disease that causes persistent lung infections and over time limits the ability of individuals to breathe. In the United States, approximately 30,000 people live with CF, and there are 1,000 new cases of CF each year. Although there is no cure for CF, researchers are attempting to understand the relationship between the disease and specific genes associated with CF.
Researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, are studying the infection, disease progression, and abnormal genes responsible for cystic fibrosis to better understand the disease process and its effects on breathing.
- Are 8 years and older (minors must have parental/guardian consent)
- Have been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis or have symptoms associated with CF
- Are willing to have lab samples stored for future research
- Are willing to undergo an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and CT (computed axial tomography) scans
What is involved?
- This study requires an inpatient visit.
- You will have a pulmonary function test, MRI and CT scan.
- Clinical information will be shared with you and if you wish, your doctor.
- Tests and procedures conducted at the NIH Clinical Center are at no cost to you.
- Compensation for travel may be provided.
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's research hospital, is conveniently located on the Metro Red Line (Medical Center stop) in Bethesda, Maryland.
For more information, call:
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 09/19/2017