Search by Department
Animal Care Program
AB, Brown University
BS and DVM, Michigan State University
As director of the Clinical Center's Animal Care Program, Dr. Lisa G. Portnoy is primarily responsible for the care and use of research animals in the CC intramural research program.
One aspect of this is to ensure that researchers comply with all applicable regulations, guidelines and policies with regard to the use of animals in research. In addition, Dr. Portnoy ensures that all animals entering the CC for animal-assisted therapy programs or other services for CC patients meet appropriate NIH guidelines. The Animal Care Program is accredited by the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC) International.
Dr. Portnoy previously was interim co-director of the Division of Comparative Medicine and assistant professor in pathology, Georgetown University. She is a certified diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine.
Dr. Portnoy is a member of the American Veterinary Medical Association, the national and local branch of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, and the American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners. She is also an accredited veterinarian with USDA/APHIS under the National Veterinary Accreditation Program.
Books and Chapters
Book chapter on Dirofilariasis for "The Diagnostic Pathology of Infectious Disease," edited by Daniel Connor, M.D., published 1997.
Derr H, Martin ME, Portnoy LG. Rabbit Mini-Pump Implantation using a Topical Anesthetic. Poster at National AALAS 2004.
Portnoy LG, Bur MJ. Response to Protocol Review Scenario: Concur with Covelli. Lab Animal, 36, 13-14 (2007)
Cox JC, Portnoy LG. Inappropriate IO Action, Lab Animal, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp18, 2003.
Newsome JT, Portnoy LG. Neuromuscular Weakness in a Baboon, Laboratory Animal Science, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp 349-357, 1999.
Abstract "Mandibular Mass in a New Zealand Rabbit" accepted for What’s Your Diagnosis? session at the National AALAS meeting , 1995.
Portnoy LG, Hustead DL. Pharmacokinetics of Butorphanol Tartrate in the Rabbit. American Journal of Veterinary Research, Vol. 53, No. 4, 541-543, 1992.
Deamond SF, Portnoy LG, Strandberg JD, Bruce SA. Longevity and Age-Related Pathology of LVG Outbred Hamsters (Mesocricetus auratus). Experimental Gerontology, Bol. 25, 433-446, 1990.
- Veterinarians Speaking for Research (video), Americans for Medical Progress, 2008
- reviewer for Analgesia and Anesthesia in Laboratory Animals, 2nd edition,2008
- Program Committee Co-Chair, National Capital Area of the National American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) annual seminar, 2006
- Professional Management Certificate, Georgetown University, 2004
- Program Committee, Workshops Chair, American Association of Laboratory Animal Science national meeting, 2001
- Moderator, American Veterinary Medical Association national meeting, 1998
- certified diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, 1990
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 03/14/2019