- For Students
- For Recent Graduates
- For Residents/Fellows
- For Mid-Career Professionals
- Other Opportunities
Graduate Medical Education (GME): Image-Guided Cardiovascular Intervention Fellowship Program
Fellowship Program Director: Robert J. Lederman, MD
The Image-Guided Cardiovascular Intervention Fellowship Program is a three-year program designed to train physicians seeking an academic research career in image-guided catheter-based cardiovascular intervention. The training program consists of two years of research in pre-clinical and clinical image-guided intervention and one year of clinical training in catheter-based cardiovascular intervention. The goals of the training program are to: (a) prepare physicians to conduct clinical or translational academic research in image-guided cardiovascular intervention, and (b) enable trainees to gain expertise in the catheter-based treatments of coronary, peripheral, and structural heart disease in adults.
During the first two years of the training program, the trainee will conduct research in image-guided intervention, including cardiovascular interventional MRI. This component of the training program will prepare the physician for a translational research career in image-guided intervention and provide intensive hands-on training in imaging science, preclinical catheter intervention, and research to support early investigation in human research subjects.
In the first two years, roughly eighty percent (80%) of the trainees’ time is protected for research conducted at the NIH. For the other 20% of the trainees’ first and second years, and during the clinically-focused third year, the learning experience is devoted to patient care. Most of this clinical training is provided at the George Washington University Hospital and other affiliated medical centers.
Research-Oriented Experience (Years 1 and 2)
The trainee is expected to serve as the lead investigator in large mammal preclinical and/or human investigational clinical experiments of mechanical and/or biological interventions for cardiovascular disease. Examples of such projects might include the following clinical catheter-based treatments: stenting using MRI, novel catheter-based treatments for structural heart disease such as mitral cerclage annuloplasty, and development of MRI-guided targeted drug delivery. The trainee is expected to participate fully in the research activities of the program, including preclinical testing of therapeutics for cardiovascular disease and, if possible, first in man clinical testing. The trainee is expected to take the lead in these and other experiments of interest, with an expectation of serving as first author on the papers emanating from this research.
The trainee will also receive formal instruction in consultative vascular medicine, peripheral vascular intervention, and magnetic resonance angiography in the context of research trials in the branch. The trainee is expected to assume or share care of patients and research subjects of the Cardiovascular Intervention Program with the other physician members of the team. This will include coronary artery interventional procedures for stable angina, acute coronary syndromes, and ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.
Clinical-Oriented Experience (Year 3)
The majority of the trainee’s clinical-oriented third year will take place at George Washington University in Washington, DC. This will include training in the catheter-based treatment of peripheral artery disease, such as intermittent claudication and limb-threatening ischemia, visceral ischemia, and cerebrovascular disease. There are likely to be other opportunities for further clinical training in structural heart disease.
The twelve months constituting this third year may be divided so as to extend over the course of two years, by prior arrangement with the Program Director and the fellow.
A fourth year of additional research and clinical training may be offered by prior arrangement with the Program Director and the fellow. This additional year of training is appropriate for trainees needing to finish ongoing projects and/or to obtain additional advanced training.
Apply to this program through the NIH Graduate Medical Education Application System. Trainees must have completed at least two years of full-time clinical training in cardiovascular diseases, in addition to training in internal medicine, and have an unrestricted state medical license at the beginning of training. The program is open to physicians with an equivalent training background. Preference is generally given to fellows with a substantial background in catheter- and imaging-based diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
Apply to Programs
For further information on this program, and to apply, please contact:
Robert J. Lederman, MD
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 08/10/2018