CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
(TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-866-411-1010)
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: email@example.com
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
A Clinical Trial for People with Parkinson's Disease
Do You Have Parkinson's Disease?
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland seeks volunteers with Parkinson's disease to be part of a clinical research study about whether N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) has a particular effect on brain chemistry in patients with Parkinson's disease. Researchers are evaluating whether NAC can protect the nerve cells in the brain that control movement.
- You will have a screening visit and we will review your medical history, do a physical examination, and perform blood work to determine your eligibility for the study.
- If found to be eligible to participate, you will have a 4-8 day inpatient stay.
- During your stay you will take NAC by mouth for about 2 days.
- Before and after taking NAC, you will have a lumbar puncture (spinal tap).
- All study-related tests and procedures are provided at no cost.
- Compensation will be provided as well as U.S. travel to and from the NIH for the inpatient stay.
You may qualify if you:
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease within the past 5 years
- Are taking a type of drug called an MAO inhibitor (e.g., Azilect, Eldepryl)
- Are able to provide consent
You may not qualify if you:
- Are taking levodopa in any form
- Are unable to travel to the NIH Clinical Center located in Bethesda, MD
- Know you have an allergy to NAC
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's research hospital, is conveniently located on the Metro Red Line (Medical Center stop) in Bethesda, Maryland.
For more information, call:
Office of Patient Recruitment
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 06/19/2018