CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: email@example.com
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Do You Have an Alcohol Use Disorder and Want Treatment?
Researchers at the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Maryland are seeking individuals with an alcohol use disorder to participate in a study.
This research study is investigating if eating a ketogenic diet (including high fat, low carbohydrate shakes) will have an effect on symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and on brain function in patients with alcohol use disorder undergoing inpatient treatment of alcohol detoxification.
You may be eligible for this research study if you:
- Are 18-75 years old and willing and able to provide written informed consent
- Have a moderate to severe alcohol disorder and are seeking treatment for your alcohol use
Research study procedures:
- You will complete a screening visit which includes a physical exam, medical history including alcohol and drug use, MRI scan, blood work, and urine sample.
- You will participate in our inpatient alcohol treatment program at the NIH Clinical Center.
- As an inpatient in our alcohol treatment program you will be randomly assigned to a meal plan for 3 or more weeks.
- The meal plan will consist of a ketogenic diet (high fat, low carbohydrates) or standard American diet.
- Your activity level and sleep patterns will be monitored.
- We will also collect blood samples and perform research MRI scans.
Compensation and Travel costs:
- You do not need to pay to participate in this research study.
- You will receive inpatient alcohol detoxification and treatment at no cost.
- NIH will provide travel to and from the NIH Clinical Center within the United States.
- You will be financially compensated for your participation.
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's research hospital, is conveniently located on the Metro Red Line (Medical Center stop) in Bethesda, Maryland. There is no charge for study-related tests or procedures. Compensation and travel assistance may be provided.
For more information, call:
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 11/02/2017