CONTACT USCall toll free: 1-800-411-1222
(TTY for the deaf or hard of hearing 1-866-411-1010)
Se habla español.
Or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
SEARCH THE STUDIESYou can search the collection of research studies being conducted at the NIH Clinical Center at Search the Studies. In addition, clinicaltrials.gov provides patients, family members, and members of the public easy and free access to information on clinical studies for a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Opportunities for Patient Volunteers
Lupus Research Study
Researchers at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland, are conducting a study for people with lupus. The purpose of this study is to assess the effects of a commonly used diabetes medication on lupus disease activity. Investigators are testing how this medication can improve blood vessel function and reduce inflammation in people with lupus.
If you have lupus you may be interested in participating. All study-related tests, medications and procedures are provided at no cost to you.
- The study lasts for 9-10 months, and participants will make up to 8 study visits
- This study has 3 parts:
- First, you will take either the study medication or placebo (inactive medication) for 3 months
- Then you will not take the study medication or placebo for two months
- Then you will take the study medication or placebo again for 3 months
- All participants will receive study medication at some point in the study either at the first 3 months or the last 3 months of the study
- At each visit during the study, you will be asked to provide blood and urine samples, and you will undergo tests of lupus disease activity, and tests to check the function and appearance of your blood vessels.
You may be eligible if you:
- Are 18 or older
- Have been diagnosed with lupus
- Do not have diabetes
- Have been on stable doses of lupus medications and cholesterol lowering medications
Location: The NIH Clinical Center, America's research hospital, is conveniently located on the Metro Red Line (Medical Center stop) in Bethesda, Maryland. Parking is provided at no cost.
For more information:
Se habla español
Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center (CC)
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS)
Print the Flyer
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.
This page last updated on 03/27/2018