1948 · November
Construction of the Clinical Center was started.
1951 · June 22nd
Oscar R. Ewing, Federal Security Administrator, officiated at the cornerstone ceremony. President Harry S. Truman was the honored guest.
1953 · July 2nd
Department of Health, Education and Welfare Secretary Oveta Culp Hobby dedicated the Clinical Center.
The first patient ws admitted to the Clinical Center.
1953 · July 6th
The first patient was admitted to the Clinical Center.
1963 · September 5th
Dr. Luther L. Terry, Surgeon General, dedicated a new surgical wing for cardiac and neurosurgery.
1969 · July 2nd
A dedication ceremony was held to name the Clinical Center’s Jack Masur Auditorium.
1977 · April
Construction of the ambulatory care research facility was started.
1977 · November
The Critical Care Medicine Department was established.
1981 · October 22nd
The ambulatory care research facility was dedicated. The research hospital was renamed the Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center.
1982 · September 20th
The National Institute of Aging’s Laboratory of Neurosciences was dedicated.
1984 · March 22nd
The first magnetic resonance imaging unit became operational for patient imaging.
1984 · October
The National Cancer Institute’s Radiation Oncology building was dedicated.
1985 · April 13th
The first two cyclotrons were delivered to the underground facility operated by the Nuclear Medicine Department.
1987 · November 20th
The Lipsett Amphitheater was dedicated
1990 · September 14th
A 4-year-old patient with adenosine deaminate deficiency was the first to receive gene therapy treatment.
1991 · April 8th
The Department of Transfusion Medicine opened its state-of-the-art facility.
1992 · June
The A-wing addition was completed, adding National Cancer Institute and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases labs focusing on AIDS research.
1993 · July
The hematology/bone marrow unit opened to improve transplant procedures and develop gene therapy techniques.
1994 · May
The first multi-institute unit designed and staffed for children opened.
1996 · February
Details on clinical research studies conducted at the Clinical Center were made available online (http://clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov), increasing opportunities for physicians to participate in NIH clinical investigations.
1996 · October
The Secretary of Health and Human Services, marking a new governing system for the Clinical Center, appointed a Board of Governors.
1997 · July
To meet increasing investigative needs for cell products used in immunotherapy, gene therapy and stem cell transplantation, a cell processing facility was created.
1997 · November 4th
Vice President Al Gore and Senator Mark O. Hatfield attended groundbreaking ceremonies for the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center.
Clinical Center Legislative Chronology
1944 · July 1st
Public Law 78-410, the Public Health Service Act, authorized establishment of the Clinical Center.
1947 · July 8th
Under Public Law 80-165, research construction provisions of the Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 1948 provided funds “for the acquisition of a site, and the preparation of plans, specifications and drawings, for additional research buildings and a 600-bed clinical research hospital and necessary accessory buildings related thereto to be used in general medical research …”
1980 · December 12th
Senate Joint Resolution 213 designated the Clinical Center as the “Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center of the National Institutes of Health.”
1996 · September 12th
House Resolution 3755, Section 218, named the new clinical research center at the National Institutes of Health as the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center.