Individuals with a visionary commitment to biomedical research founded the National Institutes of Health Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center more than 50 years ago. On January 16, 1948, words from the House Appropriations Subcommittee on the initial Clinical Center construction appropriation, attested to this commitment:
this Committee unanimously, on both sides, without regard to party or politics or anything else, is supremely interested in this matter of providing proper clinical research facilities that will the bring the sufferer, the human patient, into direct contact with the researchers. The time has come to recognize that we must provide trained peopleclinicians and technicians and researchersand at the same time give to suffering humanity, which has these diseases, the opportunity to be studied
In the ensuing years there has been a great deal of growth and change in biomedicine. The NIH Clinical Center, then and now, continues to set the stage for the synthesis of medical knowledgeknowledge that has radically improved the prospects of human health. Many past milestones and the exciting future that lies ahead will be recognized as the Clinical Center marks its fiftieth anniversary during special activities planned throughout the year.
A simultaneous commitment to excellence in clinical research, patient care and management lies at the heart of how the Clinical Center conducts business. This dedication reflects and expands upon the vision of the Clinical Centers founders.
This publication profiles the work carried out by the NIH Clinical Center.
See more information:
NIH Clinical Center Organizational Chart >
NIH/DHHS Agency Chart >