PROGRAMS and SERVICES
- February 2: The online application for the 2015 Amgen Scholars Program at the NIH will close on Monday, February 2, 2015. Rising college juniors and seniors interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in the biomedical sciences are encouraged to apply to the 10-week program.
- February 11: The NIH Clinical Center's 2015 Distinguished Clinical Research Scholar and Educator in Residence Lecture will be held Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 12:00pm in the Clinical Center's Lipsett Amphitheater (Building 10). John P. Atkinson, MD, Chief, Division of Rheumatology and Samuel B. Grant Professor of Medicine/Professor of Molecular Microbiology, Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine (St. Louis, MO), will present, "Haploinsufficiency Causing Human Inflammatory Disease: When One Gene is Not Enough." Great Teachers is a sub-series of the Clinical Center Grand Rounds.
- March 1: The online application for the 2015 NIH High School Scientific Training and Enrichment Program (HiSTEP) will close on Sunday, March 1, 2015. Current high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medically-related fields are encouraged to apply to the 5-week program.
- March 1: The online application for the 2015 NIH Summer Internship Program (SIP) will close on Sunday, March 1, 2015. All currently enrolled students (high school, college, graduate, and professional school) are encouraged to apply to the 8-week program. Clinical Center departments and offices participate in the NIH SIP.
- March 2: The NIH Medical Research Scholars Program will interview candidates for the 2015-2016 class on Monday, March 2, 2015 at the NIH Clinical Center.
- March 9: The 2014-2015 Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research Course will conclude on Monday, March 9, 2015.
- March 9: The Protocol Navigators Training Seminar will be held Monday, February 9, 2015 at 2:00pm in Building 50, Room 1227. This event is hosted by the NIH Intramural Research Program’s Protocol Navigation Training Program. Previous seminars are available on-demand [disclaimer].
- April 23: The 2014-2015 Principles of Clinical Pharmacology Course will conclude on Thursday, April 23, 2015.
- Clinical Center Grand Rounds
A weekly lecture series, Wednesdays at noon in Lipsett Amphitheatre, that focuses on state-of-the-art discoveries in clinical and translational research. View this month's schedule.
- The NIH Director's Wednesday Afternoon Lecture Series (WALS)
The WALS includes weekly scientific talks by some of the world's top researchers in the biomedical sciences. All lectures are held in Masur Auditorium, Building 10 of the NIH main campus, and are open to the public.
- Principles of Clinical Pharmacology Course
This course consists of a weekly lecture series covering the fundamentals of clinical pharmacology as a translational scientific discipline focused on rational drug development and utilization in therapeutics. View this week's schedule (23 KB).
- Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research Course
This course offers lectures twice a week to train participants on how to effectively conduct clinical research. The course focuses on the spectrum of clinical research and the research process. View this week's schedule (67 KB).
- Demystifying Medicine
This series provides graduate students, basic scientists, clinicians, and program managers with weekly lectures designed to bridge the gap between advances in biology and their application to major human diseases. View this week's schedule.
Training Programs Currently Accepting Applications
- NIH Summer Internship Program (Deadline: March 1, 2015)
- Clinical and Translational Research Course for Ph.D. Students (Deadline: March 30, 2015))
- NIH Clinical Electives Program for Medical and Dental Students (No Deadline)
- NIH Elective Rotations for Residents and Clinical Fellows (No Deadline)
- NIH Clinical Center Sabbatical in Clinical Research Management (No Deadline)
- NIH GPP-Individual Partnerships for Current Students (No Deadline)
- NIH Postbaccalaureate Intramural Research Training Award (No Deadline)
- September 8, 2014: The Second Annual NIH Clinical Fellows Day was held Monday, September 8, 2014 in Lipsett Amphitheater (Building 10). Approximately 80 clinical fellows from across the NIH participated in the event.
- September 18, 2014: Frederick P. Ognibene, MD, MCCM, FACP, director of the NIH Clinical Center Office of Clinical Research Training and Medical Education, was spotlighted in the September 2014 issue of the Association for Clinical and Translational Science (ACTS) Connection [disclaimer].
- September 22-26, 2014: The Principles and Practice of Clinical Research—Brazil was held September 22-26, 2014 in Rio de Janeiro. The one-week abridged version of the NIH Principles and Practice of Clinical Research course included presenters from both the NIH and the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (FIOCRUZ).
- September 29, 2014: The workshop "IND-Enabling Non-Clinical Safety Assessment of Candidate Drugs and Good Laboratory Practice Standards: The FDA Regulatory Perspective" (NIH-Only) was held on Monday, September 29, 2014 in Masur Auditorium (Building 10). The NIH Clinical Center-FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research Joint Task Force hosted the educational program for NIH clinical investigators, clinical research study coordinators, clinical fellows, and clinical and translational research scientists.
- October 22-23, 2014: The 2014 Pharmacokinetics Modeling Workshop was held October 22-23, 2014 at the NIH Center for Information Technology.
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.