PROGRAMS and SERVICES
"Medical discoveries of tomorrow depend on the students we train today." Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Director
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Medical Research Scholars Program (MRSP) is a comprehensive, year-long research enrichment program designed to attract the most creative, research-oriented medical, dental, and veterinary students to the intramural campus of the NIH in Bethesda, MD.
What's New: The MRSP Year-end Scientific Presentations: May 11-12, 2015. To view the schedule (335 KB) and to confirm your attendance, please visit the MRSP Scientific Presentations page [disclaimer].
Student scholars engage in a mentored basic, clinical, or translational research project on the main NIH campus in Bethesda, or at close by NIH facilities that matches their research interests and career goals.
The MRSP is designed for U.S. citizens and permanent residents currently enrolled in an accredited program who have completed their core clinical rotations. This does not exclude students with strong research interests from applying prior to having completed their clinical rotations.
The MRSP is a residential program; participating scholars are required to reside in one of the available MRSP housing options.
MRSP scholars will experience the full continuum of biomedical research—the bench, the bedside, between both and beyond. The MRSP offers:
- Lectures on seminal basic, translational and clinical research topics that highlight the continuum of discovery, as well as issues in bioethics, science policy and emerging technologies
- Training in clinical protocol development and the conduct of human subjects research
- Clinical teaching rounds focusing on NIH research patients
- Academic leadership and drug development training
- Dedicated research mentor and advisor
- NIH Clinical Center courses such as "Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Clinical Research" and the "Ethical and Regulatory Aspects of Clinical Research"
For a complete profile of the MRSP and accomplishments of former scholars, please view the program brochure (506 KB).
A MRSP webinar was held on Friday, January 9, 2015. MRSP staff and scholars, as well as NIMHD leadership presented to students, faculty, and others interested in finding out more about the program. Please view the presentation slides (1.04 MB) and archived webinar.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Medical Research Scholars Program is a public-private partnership supported jointly by the NIH and generous contributions to the Foundation for the NIH from Pfizer Inc, The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, The Newport Foundation, The American Association for Dental Research, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute, and the Colgate-Palmolive Company, as well as other private donors.
NOTE: PDF documents require the free Adobe Reader.