Clinical Center News & Events
 
 
Photo Gallery

The Clinical Center has undergone expansion and renovation, but the innovation and dedication of the staff has remained constant. From its first patient in 1953 to the addition of the Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center in 2004 and its current position poised to open to external investigators, the Clinical Center has been a House of Hope.

Aerial photo of the Clinical Center building.

Technicians in a lab.

lo-res | hi-res
The NIH Clinical Center is more than three million square feet large.

lo-res | hi-res
Training the next generation of clinician-scientists is a component of the Clinical Center mission.

The lobby of the Clinical Research Center.

Example of technology used.

lo-res | hi-res
The vision of the Clinical Center is to lead the global effort in training today's investigators and discovering tomorrow's cures.

lo-res | hi-res
The Clinical Center is home to cutting-edge technologies, such as those of the Clinical Movement Analysis Laboratory.

Lobby of the Clinical Research Center.

A young patient.

A doctor and patient.

lo-res | hi-res
The Mark O. Hatfield Clinical Research Center opened in 2005.

lo-res | hi-res
The Clinical Center led an international effort to define the subspecialty of clinical research nursing.

lo-res | hi-res
Nearly half a million patients have been seen at the NIH Clinical Center since the hospital opened its doors in 1953.

Historical Photos

Aerial view in 1953.

Exterior view of the building in 1953.

lo-res | hi-res
The original Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center building, dedicated in 1953, was 14 stories and occupied 1.3 million square feet. The hospital was designed in the shape of a Lorraine cross, with patient rooms in wings adjacent to scientist’s laboratories.

lo-res | hi-res
Throughout the 1940s, as the NIH institutes launched investigations of the big killers of the day, it became clear that the NIH needed a place to conduct research on patients. In 1944 Public Law 78-410, the Public Health Service Act authorized establishment of the Clinical Center and the hospital opened its doors in July of 1953.

The Clinical Center’s first patient—Charles Meredith.

lo-res | hi-res
The Clinical Center’s first patient—Charles Meredith, a Maryland farmer with prostate cancer—was admitted on July 6, 1953. Since then, nearly half a million clinical research participants have become active partners in medical discovery at the Clinical Center.

 

Page last updated: March 6, 2014